1. How long will it take to pass my exam?
The million dollar question! Everyone wants to know how long will it take to pass my exam and the simple answer is, everyone is different! The more detailed answer is, there ar e a few factors you can take into consideration. Firstly, you need to understand on what criteria you are assessed and where are your weaknesses. After taking a pre-assessment at Turner English, you will know exactly where you need to improve and what areas to concentrate on. For example, grammar, vocabulary, task achievement or coherency and cohesion.
Additionally, the IELTS test examines three areas, English Language (of course), test familiarity (strategies to pass the exam + criteria) and academic exposure. Test familiarity is the easiest challenge to overcome and may take as little as 4 weeks, Academic exposure depends on your individual background (just completed a Bachelor of Nursing or Accounting and so on) and if your General English skills are weak (example, grammar needs attention, lack of vocabulary) then this is where the most time needs to be spent and can take time.
2. What resources are provided?
All resources are provided by Turner English and were designed and written in house by our team of IELTS expert teacher professionals so you will not find them anywhere else. All course work is handed out on a weekly basis and our online classroom and discussion group is available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
3. When should I book my exam?
You can book your exam whenever you like. Turner English doesn’t provide advice in regards to when to take your exam. However, we do regular formative assessments and provide clear and explicit individual feedback which will give you a clear indication when you are ready.
4. Can I have extra marking?
As mentioned above, formative assessments and formal written feedback is given in the course on a regular basis. Estimated Band scales are regularly provided as part of the course. In addition we are happy to do quick checks to make sure you are on track but if you require formal extra marking with estimated band scores outside of the program, this can take the teacher 10-15 minutes and a small fee will be charged.
5. Which center should I do my exam in?
All centers and all examiners are trained the same. We suggest that you go to the center you feel most comfortable with.
6. How am I going to achieve my score?
The reason why students continuously achieve the same band score is because they don’t seek help and don’t know where they need to improve so they can spend a considerable amount of time studying the wrong thing. The IELTS exam is very technical and you need to know exactly what is being tested and where you need to improve. If you score 7 for Grammar, Vocabulary and Cohesion and Coherency but 6.5 for Task Response, then you need to know that and what exactly is task response and how can I fix it.
The teachers at Turner English are very skilled at identifying weaknesses and have taught hundreds of students how to overcome that specific area so that you reach your score in the quickest way possible. After years of experience, there is rarely a problem that our teachers have not seen before and consequently developed strategies to correct the problem.
7. What if I only want to do writing or reading etc?
The program coordinator will put together an individual program so that you can target your particular skill. However, the program is designed thematically so it is highly advised that you do the full program because one skill will help the other.
In addition, private classes are available for people with busy work schedules.
8. What if I can not make it for one of the classes?
If you are sick or can’t make it for any legitimate reason, Turner English offers make-up classes. A formal email must be sent to email@example.com and a legal document i.e doctor’s certificate or airplane ticket in order to be eligible for the make-up class.
9. How do you work on speaking in a group class?
Students are given individual attention and formal written feedback on a weekly basis. While individual assessments are taking place a group session is also conducted in a separate area whereby students learn effective test taking strategies and can also generate ideas and practice with their classmates.
10. Do you do Academic writing preparation?
Turner English provides courses for Academic and General candidates.
11. What do you do in the essay writing class?
This course has been created by an experienced IELTS examiner and is designed to guide you through the essay writing process by explaining and illustrating how successful IELTS essays are written.
Step 1: Context and Thematic Vocabulary
– You will be introduced to the week’s theme through a discussion
– You will be taught thematic and academic vocabulary that will enhance your IELTS score
Step 2: Model Essay Analysis and Grading Criteria
– Your instructor will guide you through well written IELTS essays and explain the band descriptors
– You will be provided with excellent essay models
– You will learn about the different essay types
– You will learn about how an IELTS examiner grades essays
Step 3: Grammar and Complexity
– Every lesson will focus on a different common grammatical item which you will then be expected to use in your writing
– Each class will include error correction which enables you to identify errors in context and correct them accurately
Step 4: Question Analysis and Outlining
– Your instructor will guide you through the process of understanding the requirements of an IELTS essay question
– You will learn to plan your essay from introduction to conclusion
– You will include ideas, vocabulary and grammar in your outlines
Step 5:Timed Writing and Feedback
– You will write an IELTS essay based on your outline
– You will receive detailed feedback and band scores
– You will create an action plan based on your feedback
12. How to enrol?
You can enroll and pay online or over the phone. We offer the facility to pay via bank transfer or via an instalment plan from your designated credit or debit card. This makes it easier for you financially, as you don’t have to make a large upfront payment, but rather make smaller regular payments with no extra charges for doing so.
13. Any other question?